At long last, finally something is being done to improve the traffic in and around Stockholm.
A road congestion tax has been introduced for a trial period. The political process leading up to this was flawed in almost every respect but the outcome is promising. The number of cars commuting into town has been reduced significantly. The upcoming referendum might well lead to the system being adopted permanently.
The two railway tracks built across Riddarholmen in the 19th century are still the only capacity available through central Stockholm. Period. This has been debated longer than anyone cares to remember. Now a decision has been taken to build a City Tunnel doubling the capacity of the railroads through the city.
Both these initiatives involved local politicians but they occurred on Göran Perssons watch and this was no coincidence. In fact, his government was directly involved in both issues. A Prime Minister passionate about the environment made a difference.
ten reasons to appreciate Göran Persson
7 a Stockholm less congested
9 environmental awareness
10 an international defence
(some of) my events
- 2020-03-10--12 Northern European Conference on Emergency and Disaster Studies (attending conference, Östersund)
- 2020-02-05--08 Folk och kultur (attending convention, Eskilstuna)
- 2020-01-16 Certifierad IT-arkitekt (guest lecturing, Stockholm)
- 2019-12-12 Datakommunikation och IT-säkerhet (guest lecturing, Högskolan i Gävle)
- 2019-11-21--22 Samlingsforum 2019 (attending conference, Nyköping)